Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What is a Pedicure and Why should I get One?

What is a pedicure you ask? A pedicure is a set of procedures that are performed on the feet to treat or prevent negative health conditions and to enhance their overall appearance.

This typically involves grooming the toenails, exfoliating dead skin that may have become dry and hard, tending to the cuticles, moisturizing and nail beautification usually through the application of nail enamels. It would make good sense though to also tend to other issues that affect the feet beauty or health wise instead of sticking to some predetermined list of procedures.

What sense would it make to adhere to a prescribed list of procedures of foot care and leave out addressing other issues such as discolored nails or corns that affect the beauty and/or health of the feet?

With these loose guidelines, this definition of what is a pedicure can possibly include any corrective, maintenance or beautification procedure done to the feet with the exception of foot surgery or professional medical attention. This makes for a good, thorough definition because many people perform pedicures on themselves and others and just don’t seek to correct serious issues that affect the feet.

So keep an open mind and treat all pedicure instructions as just guidelines. Take a serious look at your feet, research remedies for any problems you notice and insert those remedies sensibly into your foot care regimen. Many issues that can affect your feet though will most likely be included on this site with home remedies if any.

Some people find pedicures extremely relaxing, while others who are very ticklish can't stand to sit through one. The fact is that it all depends upon you if you will have a ticklish pedicure experience or not.
It is for this reason and others that some people prefer to give themselves at home pedicures as opposed to going to a salon

Interesting pedicures...

There are also different types of pedicures that have gained popularity and focus due to a particular ingredient or process. Some of these are listed below.
  • The pumpkin pedicure is a pedicure that involves the use of pumpkin pulp to exfoliate the feet.
Doctor Fish are little fish that can aid in exfoliation because they feed on dead skin. Some spas have included doctor fish pedicures in their line up of foot care services.

Not only does a pedicure make your feet feel great, it’s also a great prevention method to avoid future foot complications.

  Did you know the average person takes 8,000 to 10,000 steps a day, which adds up to about 1,115,000 miles over a lifetime! With that amount of wear and tear why wouldn’t we want to spoil our feet with a great cleansing and massage?

Cleaning, cutting, and clipping of the nails can prevent nails from growing inward and causing infection or ingrown toenails. The elimination of dirt and bacteria by cleansing your feet will also help prevent nail diseases and disorders and helps eliminate foot odor.
Exfoliation, or the sloughing off of dead skin cells, can prevent the cells from accumulating and causing corns or bunions, which if not treated are very painful. Removal of dead skins cells can also encourage newer skin cell growth which creates a smoother, more appealing foot.

Of course the most enjoyable part of a pedicure is the massage and/or oils used in the massage to moisturize the newly exfoliated skin. Massaging also promotes circulation in the calves and feet and also helps to promote the health and performance of the muscles. And of course this type of pampering is a great stress reducer because…. “When Your Feet Hurt, You Hurt All Over!”


 For more information or to schedule an appointment please contact
Affiliated Podiatrists, Inc. at 440-946-5858 or visit our website:

*Don't forget to order your free copy of our book from the website!*

20 comments:

  1. Nice information shared about pedicure. Unique facts and information shared. thanks for sharing. Keep posting.
    podiatrist doctors Fort Lauderdale, FL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are pedicures really an important part of foot health? I'll have to ask a Carlisle foot doctor about that.... I've heard reflexology is one of the best things for not only your feet but your whole body. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been having some troubles with my foot lately. I broke it awhile back and it is still giving me trouble. I am looking for a great foot doctor that I can rely on and know that I can trust. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really should go to a foot clinic as soon as possible. You can ask your regular doctor. Oftentimes, they can recommend a foot doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hiiii...
    Nice view regarding Pedicure

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so valuable to know! My dad has horrible problems with his feet. I don't know how accepting he would be with getting a pedicure!! hehe
    Celine | http://www.oregonfootclinic.com/services.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew getting a pedicure is good for your health! I'll have to have my husband read this blog. He always complains when I spend money on getting a pedicure. After reading this, I'm sure he would want one too! www.chicagofeet.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get my wife a pedicure or massage every month. She has a really high stress job, so she needs and deserves the relaxation and attention. My foot doctor recommended an awesome pedicure salon that we've been using for months now. Thiago | http://www.sydneycitypodiatry.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know that pedicures could be so good for your feet! I just thought they were something people did for kicks and giggles. My friend keeps trying to get me to go, but I keep telling her no because I don't want to waste my money. But maybe I'll go now, just for the health benefits!
    Claudia Rosenburg | http://infootdocs.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like it's time to go get a pedicure! Where can I find one of those fish pedicure places? I would love to try that out. It would be so weird, but so interesting at the same time!

    Jim Tracy | http://www.rockymtnfootandankle.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree that pedicures are important for your health. They should be frequent, like once a month at least. I wonder if foot clinics offer this. http://mitchellfootandankle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went to try one of those fish pedicures and I couldn't find one! Is it not common to have them in America? I really want to try it.

    Jim Tracy | http://www.rockymtnfootandankle.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had no idea that pedicures are so important for foot health. My wife always says that I need one, and now I believe her. I am going to the foot clinic tomorrow for an ingrown toenail. Maybe if I had gotten regular pedicures, this wouldn't have happened.

    http://www.wetreatsorefeet.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am absolutely obsessed with going in to get pedicures. I never realized that they were so important for your foot health, and I always just thought that they felt really good. I guess it does keep you from getting in grown toenails and other things. It's good to see that it is recommended by a podiatrist though. http://www.allaboutfeet.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  15. My girlfriend and her group of friends go every month for a pedicure and manicure. I know that a manicure has to deal with your hands and nails and that a pedicure is for your feet. After reading this article, I did not think that they were that beneficial to your health. I always thought they were just for painting your toenails. Perhaps I'll have to go and get one myself, minus the toenail painting that is. http://www.podiatrycenterrichmond.com/Service-Areas.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Doctor fish pedicures? pumpkin skin pedicures? It seems I have been quite out of the loop on recent pedicure practices recently! My wife once made me go with her and while it did feel good, it wasn't nearly as in depth as these. It would seem I need to go more often though, to keep my feet in good clean condition.
    Bonobos |
    http://www.drlbilling.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. My wife is always going to get pedicures and she tells me I should too, because they are good for your feet. So I am researching to see if that is true. This blog was very helpful and informative. After reading this I think I am going to get a pedicure done now. http://www.cincinnatifootcare.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We additionally need to deal with our nails as much as we deal with our skin and hair. Each time you want to spoil yourself, look at your nails on the off chance that they also need a genuinely necessary nail trim or pedicure. Recall that getting a nail trim and pedicure doesn't just mean to make it look prettier.cheap nail salon in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete